- MHLW revised maximum residue limits of 6 pesticides and veterinary drugs with immediate effect. Other changes will become effective 6 months later.
- MHLW announced revision to the list of 18 types of esters as food additives. The amended positive list entered effect the day after its publication (Oct. 22, 2019). Changes involve 15 food
- Under new requirements the presence of almonds in food will be subject to voluntary labeling.
- On Sept. 13th, Japan's Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare announced that from October 1st, the sales of agricultural water products using gene-editing technology will be accepted subject
- The positive list system applies to food contact plastics only; Current regulations on food contact materials are still applicable; The positive list system is expected to be implemented before June 22
- Japan’s official food contact materials positive lists were finally opened to public feedback, following previous informal disclosure of an internal version on Jun 13.
- In Japan, mandatory labeling of gene-edited food is likely to be implemented.
- The informal draft of positive lists of additives and polymers used in food contact materials was disclosed, however the official consultation draft is expected to face the public in July or August.