- China has opened the proposed authorization of glucuronolactone as a food additive in energy drinks to public feedback. Its approval will open China's markets to many energy drink products which use the active ingredient.
On April 9th, 2019, China CFSA consulted on the use of four new food additives. They are glucuronolactone, disodium EDTA, caramel color class I-plain and ε-poly-L-lysine٠HCl.
|Food Additives||Items for consultation||Function||Food classification number||Food Category||Maximum amount|
|Glucuronolactone||new food additive||anticaking agent, nutrition fortification substance||14.09||energy drink||2.4g/L|
|Disodium ethylene-diamine-tetra-acetate (disodium EDTA)||new application scope||chelating agent||CNS No.18.005||Aquatic derived food||1.2g/kg|
|Caramel color class I-plain||new application scope||colorant||16.03||collagen protein casing||as appropriate|
|ε-poly-L-lysine٠HCl (ε-PL٠HCl)||new application scope||preservative||06.03.02.01||raw or wet flour product (e.g. noodles and wrappers for dumpling, wantun and shao-mai)||0.5 g/kg|
|06.05||starch and starch products||0.5 g/kg|
|06.07||instant rice & flour products||0.5 g/kg|
|07.0||bakery food||0.5 g/kg|
|10.02.01||spiced eggs||0.5 g/kg|
Applications in the food industry
- Glucuronolactone can be added into food or energy drinks to enhance physical strength, nourish the skin and improve their immune system, etc. It is now used as an additive in health food products, energy drinks, cosmetics, etc. in countries like the US, Japan, etc.
- Disodium EDTA is a chelating agent that can be used to lower the content of cadmium in aquatic products
- Caramel color class I-plain is used to color collagen protein casing.
- ε-poly-L-lysine٠HCl (ε-PL٠HCl) is used as a preservative in food products.
Any interested parties can submit their comments or suggestions on the four new food additives via the contact information below before May 9th, 2019.
*Please type “食品添加剂新品种意见反馈” in the subject line, which translates to “feedback of new food additives”.
 Global Glucuronolactone Market Size 2017 By End-use (Food & Beverages, Pharmaceuticals, and Others), By Region, and Forecast 2018 To 2025
 CFSA announcement (glucuronolactone)
 CFSA announcement (disodium EDTA)
 CFSA announcement (caramel color classⅠ-plain)
 CFSA announcement (ε-PL٠HCl)