On August 10, 2022, the Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (MFDS) issued the latest version of Food Additive Code1, in which the food additives for manufacturing health supplements, amino acids applicable for "milk formulas, etc.", and components of Steviol Glycoside are modified. The regulation came into effect along with its issuance. Imported food shipped after August 10, 2022, shall comply with the new regulation.
1. Adding a New Additive for Manufacturing Enteric-coated Health Supplements
A new food additive Hydroxypropylmethyl Cellulose Phthalate (프탈산히드록시프로필메틸셀룰로스) is newly added in the regulation. It serves as a coating agent for manufacturing enteric-coated capsules, granules, and tablets of Health Functional Foods (HFF).
2. Permitting Calcium Silicate for Health Functional Food Manufacture
Due to Calcium Silicate's high water absorption property, it is permitted to be used in manufacturing tablet- or capsule-formed Health Functional Foods, especially for those using liquid raw materials such as EPA/DHA oil.
3. Amending Amino Acids Used in Milk Formulas
Eleven kinds of Amino Acids are newly specified for manufacturing "milk formulas, etc.":
("Milk formulas, etc." refer to "Milk formulas, Infant formulas, Follow-up formulas, Baby foods for infants/young children, and Special formulas for infants/young children. )
Amino Acids (Previous)
Amino Acids (Present, new additived are marked in red)
4. Amending the Main Use Purposes of 24 Additives
(1) The major usage purposes of 18 additives are amended as per the latest international standards: