- The Implementation Rules of Korean Food Labeling and Advertising was newly formulated following the promulgation of Korean Food Labeling and Advertising Act, which came into force on April 25th, 2019.
Following on from the implementation of Korean Food Labeling and Advertising Act  (Read ChemLinked news for more info) on March 14th, 2019, the Implementation Rules of Korean Food Labeling and Advertising Act  was officially formulated and came into force on April 25th, 2019.
The main content involves the rules about labeling, standards for advertising, measures on punishments, etc.
- Relevant labeling regulations
- Items that must be labeled: food category, composition, storage, etc.
- Allergen labeling (shall be marked clearly and be understandable).
- Rules related to nutrition labeling
- Obligors shall label the info on small-unit packages or containers in Korean, etc.
- Standards for advertising: referencing Table 6 of the implementation rules
- eg, aiming to encourage breastfeeding, in South Korea, infant formula shall not be advertised via TV, newspaper, radio, video, internet, etc..
- If an advertisement is considered to violate Article 8 of Korean Food Labeling and Advertising Act, materials needed to be submitted for advertising review as follows: experiment/test result, experts' opinion, documentation, and other materials MDFS approved with the same validity.
- Registration steps to be a self-organized review organization
- Measures on punishments: referencing table 7 of the implementation rules
- According to the Korean Food Labeling and Advertising Act, the business operation license may be canceled if found violating Article 14 to article 17 of the Korean Food Labeling and Advertising Act three times, for example, if health functional food products are misunderstood as medicines during the advertising.
For further help or translation service, please contact ChemLinked firstname.lastname@example.org.